2004-11-18

Employment--sweet, sweet employment

I first learned about this possibility about three weeks ago; and then I received a call this morning from the Human Resources department at a laboratory in Louisville. I shall have orientation there on November 29th during the daytime. Then I shall begin a regular Monday-Friday schedule, but on Tuesday night from 2:00 AM to 10:30 AM for this first week. I’ll be expected to work approximately one out of four weekends; but I doubt if that will start before I am completely trained with their particular processes. If it does, I’ll just get some mid-week time off those weeks.

I shall be working in the hematology/coagulation/urinalysis section where we will be performing about 4,000 tests each day. The tests are run by a team of ten persons, so we’ll be averaging 400 tests each! The woman who interviewed me will be my boss. She is an African American woman my wife Gay’s age who studied here in Frankfort and who is an ordained Baptist preacher. (Isn’t that a coincidence?) The Human Resources person there who worked with me is married to a student at Presbyterian Seminary in Louisville. By that determination, it seems obvious that I was predestined to have this particular job.

The job pays well; and, with the decrease in health insurance premiums coupled with the good salary I probably will have significantly more income than in the ministry. I am including the cost of housing when I say that as well, though we really must find a less expensive place to rent or somehow find a way to purchase a house. The insurance pays 100% after different co-payment amounts; and that is a comforting thing to know. Even hospitalizations are paid 100% after just a $100 co-payment.

I can only think of three things that aren’t really positive about this particular situation.
1. It is a one hour drive to the lab from our house; and it will likely take longer than that to get home.
2. The hours are rather horrendous. I am a night owl, though, so I shall survive them – quite easily I expect.
3. Gay will sleep even less well with me on night shift.


There are many positive things, though:

1. I really liked the boss’s personality and attitude about the laboratory.
2. The salary is sufficient for us to maintain a decent standard of living.
3. The Insurance sounds like it will be very helpful for us monetarily as well.
4. Getting experience there will increase my chances of eventually having a Medical Technology job here in Frankfort or possibly getting a
supervisor’s position there since the boss is planning to retire in 3 years. That would also be true about applying for a hematology
supervisor’s position in Frankfort or elsewhere after I have been there for a couple of years.
5. I shall be getting some excellent refreshment in my laboratory training as I work each night with those who are “fresher”
in their work experience than I am.
6. The night shift means that I can be available to take Gay to daytime doctor’s appointments unless other arrangements can be made.
7. The night shift means I can be available for family time in the evening if I want plus most weekends.
8. Hematology was always my favorite part of laboratory work. I feel as if I am returning “home” rather than leaving the ministry.
9. Night shift means I can be available for preaching most Sundays should I be asked to do so. Ministry as a lay person sounds exciting to me.
10. I have a reliable vehicle even though it has nearly 150,000 miles on it. Also, it gets relatively good mileage – about 27-30 MPG, so I
shouldn’t go broke getting to work and back even at our current high gasoline prices. The car is paid for; and I have new tires. The only
needed repairs of which I am aware are replacement of struts and shocks to make for a better ride and a little more quiet in the drive.

revjmike's blog

No comments: